Yesterday evening as a proud sponsor, ID Medical had the privilege of joining its valued client, University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust at their annual Hospital Heroes awards to celebrate the outstanding efforts of all the staff members who keep the hospital running every day.
Saints legend, Francis Benali had a significant part to play in the evening as key speaker and helped pay tribute to staff who provide exemplary support to patients, ensuring unsung heroes who rarely get in the limelight were praised.
Over 400 people were in attendance, from doctors, nurses, researchers, volunteers and support staff. Staff working at Southampton General Hospital, Princess Anne Hospital, Countess Mountbatten House hospice and the New Forest Birth Centre were all eligible for nomination.
Fiona Dalton, chief executive at University Hospital Southampton’s comments on the annual Hospital Heroes event, “Healthcare is about getting the big things right – but also getting the small things right. This event is an opportunity to celebrate and say thank you to a few of the individuals who have made sure that we get things right for patients throughout the year.”
Managing director of ID Medical, Deenu Patel said, “Every day we are honoured to support hospitals like University Hospital Southampton. We dovetail with the NHS values and encourage celebrations like this as we recognise phenomenal individuals and groups of people who go above and beyond for patients and colleagues.
“We’d like to thank the hospital for inviting us to be a part of such a special event. Congratulations to all winners, runners up and everyone else nominated – thank you for all your hard work and dedication to improving patient care.”
The winners in full are:
- Employee of the Year – Alexandra Shacklady, therapy technician
- Team of the Year – Ward D2, Haematology
- Chairman’s Award for Leadership – Peter Cowburn, consultant cardiologist
- Education and Training – UHS Adult Diabetes team
- Equality and Diversity Award – Beatriz Duarte Blanco, ward hostess
- Healthwatch Patient Experience – G3 Advanced Nursing team
- Patient Safety Award – Patient Safety team
- Southampton Hospital Charity Star Award – Sarah Hartfree, paediatric rheumatology nurse specialist
- The Gift of Time – Jean Pearce, volunteer
- Outstanding Achievement Award – Witness Dzobo, biomedical scientist
- Research Individual or Team of the Year – Clinical Research Network Wessex division five
- Unsung Hero – Selina Seaborne and Andrea Lodge
- Clinical Impact Through Research – Clinical Research Facility Paediatric Research Nursing team
- Innovation – Outpatient Transformation team
- Daily Echo Readers’ choice award – Sunitha Narayan